How to Recognize an Excellent Home Care Provider
The best home care providers are knowledgeable, trustworthy and caring. Here’s how you can be sure a company is right for you. Ask yourself:
- Are the home care workers background-checked? At A-Z Home Care our checks are done by an independent agency with expertise in background checking. We also require drug screening.
- What type of credentials and experience do workers have? For example, we require that our employees have experience working with seniors. We hire only personable, responsible and friendly caregivers who are dedicated to helping people. Home care workers can remind clients about taking medication, coordinate information with medical personnel, and respond to emergencies, but they are not nurses or medical staff.
- Are the home care workers employees or independent contractors? Choose a home care agency with employees who are bonded and licensed to work in your home.
- Is there quality control in place? Care managers should check in with you frequently to make sure you are receiving excellent help.
- Will you have the same caregiver consistently? Low staff turnover means the same person will handle your home care needs. If your caregiver changes, it should be because you want a change.
- Can you get short-notice help? Sometimes, a family member who normally helps you might have something come up. Ask if the company can dispatch a caregiver on short notice.
- Can you get specialized services? For example, some caregivers specialize in Alzheimer’s care, dementia, hip replacement recovery, stroke, hospice and more.
- Are you tied into a contract? The best at-home care companies allow you to cancel service at any time. Companies that provide excellent care and value don’t need to trap you with a long-term contract.
The peace of mind that comes with choosing quality home care is worth a bit of research. We hope this list helps you or your loved one stay at home comfortably.